Tuesday

Mike Bailey-Gates
PHOTOGRAPHER

http://mikebaileygates.com/index.html



Hello Mike, how are you feeling today?
Hello, I'm feeling ok. I just woke up and it looks like it's going to rain a little bit.

Could you tell us a bit about your industry?
The industry I work in is very accepting,  I think. I've been working in the fashion industry for a little  while, and I realize that not everyone will like your work or what you think is correct, but then there will be  people who do. There is two very different worlds between commercial side of fashion, and the artistic side. It's hard to find a balance between both. It's almost like star wars with the dark side, you can get pulled in to jobs just for money and loose your ideas. 

What’s your latest project?
This summer I was focusing on going back to taking more candid photos of my life, and the things that happen to me everyday. Usually I am building big sets and drawing up ideas for shoots, but I really wanted to go back to something more natural for a little while because I felt like I was losing that idea. 

What/Who inspires you?
So many things inspire me, it's hard to say.  The stories in my head I make up inspire a good amount of my shoots. 
It can be anything from a women walking a baby in a stroller outside, to watching an old man at the zoo or something. There are so many talented artists out there. I think some of my personal favorites are people like Sofia Coppola, Steven Meisel, Tim Walker, Eleanor Hardwick, Koto Bolofo,  Lauren Poor, and many others.

What are your future aspirations?
I'm  moving to NYC in the fall to go to SVA. From there I plan on assisting some photographers and learning as much as I can. I don't really know where it will go from there aha. The cards are all kind of up in the air right now, I'm just going out where I feel like I should be and doing what I love.
 
Where would you like to be in five years time?
Hopefully living in a small apartment in NYC, making art, doing what I love,  and trying to make an impact in the industry in  some way.
 
What advice would you give to students in creative industries?
You're best at being you, so stop trying to be someone else with your art. 
 
Any other comments?
Thank you !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics