Thursday

Hannah Rowlands
ILLUSTRATOR

http://www.hannahrowlands.com

Hello Hannah, how are you feeling today?
Alright thanks, it's a bit hot! I have been trying to make my new room look pretty as I've just moved house.

What's your latest project?
I just did a commission for a nice design agency which was for a pretty big client and it was pretty fun and a bit weird! I can't show it yet though :(

What is the project you have done that you most enjoyed?
At University I enjoyed the projects which were really short, as I find it's fun to try and come up with something quickly and run with it. For example, we would be given a word like 'hole' and have to come up with some work that was about a hole (sounds weird but it's very fun)! And I like working with other people too, it's good to get other peoples input. I think that's when the best work happens rather than pondering around thinking things over too much alone, that can sometimes be bad for me.

Which project do you feel that you have learnt the most from?
Some of the projects that went hideously wrong and that I hated, but it's good to try things out as you learn what works and what doesn't, while trying to do something new.

What/Who inspires you?
Lots of things.. I'm really inspired by a lot of sixties design, bright colours and bold prints. Also old american candy packaging. I really like lots of textile design, like Lucienne day and other artists who did prints for Heals. Also I love the colours Orla Kiely uses in her clothes. I'd say my favourite modern Illustrator/artist was Natalie Lete but I try to not look at current illustration anymore.. it kind of irritates me.

What are your future aspirations?
I really want my work to be put onto products, make things that are of use to people and not just illustrations on paper. Plates, cups, pillows... basically any nice illustrated objects that you might want to collect and use!

Where would you like to be in five years time?
Happy and healthy and hopefully making and designing some things that I am proud of and that other people find attractive. I would also hope to have a giant dog living with me in London...

What advice would you give to students in creative industries?
Well.. I don't know if I'm experienced enough yet to answer this question! But my advice would be... work very hard always, take advantage of the studios at University and printmaking studios! Get your work out there on the internet, email people, get involved on social networking (eg. blogging!), don't be scared to show work to people or contact people/companies who do work you like. Also son't do loads of free work. It's bad for everyone else!

Any other comments?
Just that you should all have a nice day! And thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics